Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The restaurant review revision


Lou Mitchell’s: The Starting Point of Route 66

              The United States of America, is a nation of dreams. As a Japanese international student, I have some stereotypes about this country: greatness, hugeness, consumerism, but the most impressive is “adventure”. Like Dennis Hopper in the movie “Easy Rider (1969)”, I tend to associate America with a reckless but grand travel, which tries to go across the continent one one’s own motorcycle. The 60’s, going beyond the horizon, Born to Be Wild, motels, and Route 66…what an American! Actually, Lou mitchell’s is a magnificent restaurant which plays an important role in this Route 66 trip. The restaurant exists in Chicago, and the beginning point of Route 66. It is known for serving great breakfasts for ambitious tourists who are beginning their travels.

              The restaurant “Lou Mitchell’s” was founded in 1923, by the man “Uncle” Lou Mitchell. According to the menu, “His graciousness, friendliness, hospitality and constant efforts attention to quality, and excellence soon had droves of hungry, eager customers standing in line.” Located at the beginning of Route 66, the restaurant has been host to many Americans for 93 years. Everyone from Presidents, mayors, governors, and tourists on Route 66 have stopped here to charge their energy. Now this restaurant has been attracting many customers not only from the entire United States, but also from all over the world.

Before I went there, my personal image of this restaurant was like this; it is energetic and filled with busy people. All of them are beginning their day. Some are businessmen who are reading newspaper quietly and the other are tourists who are checking their guidebook. In every moment there is lively chatting by ambitious people and they are talking about current business situations or their sightseeing plans rigorously. Unceasing crossfire of waiters’ yells are flying through the air, in order to offer as great as services they can. When I sit down, a person sitting next to me speaks to me and we enjoy our cross-cultural conversation about difference between the United States and Japan. I had imagined such an experience on this place. And, the result was far beyond my expectations. It was totally excellent.

The restaurant is near from West Door of Union Station, so accessibility is perfect. Walking couple of minutes from the station, it will be so easy to find “Lou Mitchell’s”, for there is already a long line of people eager to experience the best breakfast in the US. In my case, because it was on Sunday most of them looked like families and tourists. Many people wait to be in, but thanks to quick services they can enter the restaurant much faster than they expect. Actually, it took 5 minutes to get in. Upon entering, I felt overwhelmed. How many, energetic people! The inside is well lighted and the walls are made of warm-colored timbers. Many tables and chairs are set neatly, then many, many people are having their breakfast in a limited space. However, it was a little disappointing because this showed there might be merely one of the sightseeing-spots in Chicago. The restaurant has an image of a “commune” for travelers, and that never goes well with a consumer-centered pop image. Still, I did not feel cramped at all, for customers and furniture are set neatly. Without being kept waiting, soon waiter led me to my table. The restaurant looked very busy, but my table was already cleaned and a glass of water, folks and a napkin were well-prepared.

 Maybe because it was Sunday, most of customers seemed to be families or tourists. From children to elders, everyone was enjoying the restaurant. Just listening to them, were talking about their sightseeing plans or their impressions of Chicago. I was already excited because this situation totally matched my expectations. I went by myself so I sat in front of a stranger who was a very kind, old American lady. She spoke to me, “Where are you from?” I answered,” Japan, Tokyo.” According to her, my choice to come here was nice. She told me that she has lived in Chicago for ten years and often comes to this restaurant to enjoy a nice breakfast. We talked about similarities and differences between Tokyo and Chicago. Then realizing that I am Japanese, the other people sitting next to me got into our conversation. Perfect. This is the “cross-cultural conversation.” I really wanted it. Despite the fact that the restaurant was very busy, ordering was not difficult at all. That is because waiters fly to every table. All of them check all customers carefully so that they can respond immediately. In fact just after ordering, the other waiter came to me and filled a cup of coffee quickly for free. Surprisingly, they served many free appetizers. Coffee, toast, oranges, and even ice creams, all of them for free. They said that if a customer ordered some food, he/she can get free appetizers. Waiters gave them me on the best timings. The hospitality allowed me to relay despite how busy it was.   

I ordered “Greek Sausage Special Omelettes”. The omelette was served on a tiny cute pan. The Omellete was served with well-baked sliced potato and crispy fried bacon. The plate had enough volume so that any people could get satisfied. The Omelette itself was very fluffy. At the moment I touched it with my fork, it softly tore. From inside the happy smell of consommé and onions emerged. The taste was very subtle. Because it is not too salty, we can enjoy how eggs, onions, sausages taste. In addition, the contrast of fluffy eggs and crispy bacons are very enjoyable. However, in a sense they were too subtle. The omelette is not small, so there should be tastes’ contrasts with bacons. But both of them do not have much flavor and consequently a customer can be bored. Generally speaking, compared to Japanese cuisine many American food lacks flavors. Yes, it is salty and always over-sweet, but that’s it. Food should have five flavor categories: saltiness, sweetness, bitterness, sourness, and the most importantly, umami. In my opinion, the restaurant should serve such cuisine that customers can enjoy each flavor. In this case, the omelette was durable but bacons were not; they were baked too much and as a result their own flavors have gone. I could feel only crispiness. That is shame. Anyway, ketchup, salt, pepper, mustard are prepared on the table, so you can customize food as you want.   

On the menu, of course you can find many kinds of food rather than the omelette: sandwiches, special toasts, fountains, beverages. Fortunately, all of them are affordable price. My omelette was 10 dollars and in addition I could enjoy many appetizer for free as I mentioned above. You can drink coffee as much as you want, for example. I am sure that you can start the day in Chicago with the best feeling, for only 15 dollars.

Lou Mitchell’s is nice place to begin the day in Chicago. You can enjoy not only food, but also everything it has. Talking with other tourists, seeing quick and well-trained waiters, and of course fluffy omelettes. This restaurant allows you to feel you are one of uncountable tourists who had been there and traveled on Route 66 for 93 years. I recommend you to “experience” this nice spot, sincerely.   

              This assignment has changed my understanding of “authenticity” and of dining in restaurants as a kind of tourism. First, I came to think that “authenticity” exists as many as each restaurant, because it is made not by my image from media, but by actual experience. Whatever it is, what I met at restaurant is authentic. Accordingly, it is meaningless to think what is the authenticity. Second, this assignment made me think about a relationship between restaurants and tourism. Personally, I have thought that the interesting point of traveling is that we can feel our cultural differences. Of course in a foreign country we can find many differences even just walking around a city. However, one of the direct way to feel them is eating at a restaurant, I come to think. That is because food is made by people, and people is the most different thing in terms of culture. At a restaurant, I could feel the differences from how they serve, how another customer behaves, and how food tastes. Food can represents cultural differences clearly, so it can be a necessary point of tourism.

              Being aware of eating becomes my motto of my future tourist experience. Extremely speaking, even if I am supposed to have a lunch in McDonald’s, there might be opportunities to find any differences from Japan. Furthermore, taking a picture and write down own feeling is also very beneficial experience. Of course writing an article can broaden other people’s horizon, but through this assignment, I felt like could communicate with my hidden emotions or feelings. At a restaurant, I was surprised at differences, but when I was writing, I was able to perceive differences. These differences were connected to my previous experiences and I could get surprised again. Moreover, if someone gladly share this experience through my article, the pleasure will increase much more. This assignment allowed me to realize that.   

1 comment:

  1. Very nice reflection at the end, Yoji--it seems you tacked on Pt. III of the assignment at the end of your review, yes?

    One of the things asked during workshop was for you to revise the review by writing it in third person. This revision is still written in first person. Why did you not make that change?

    Also, you did not turn in a hard copy of this review, so I don't have a copy marked up to hand back to you.

    ReplyDelete